Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My first 24 hrs as a Mac-head

Ironically, my new Macbook arrived while I was at a friend's house showing him how to create a Powerpoint presentations on his new Macbook. Sarah called me and told me that a package had arrived for me and it was shaped like a computer.

I tried as hard as I could not to speed as I drove home to open my new computer. Let me take a moment to describe the packaging, because it is important:

Inside the plain brown box was a simple, sleek, and (dare I say) sexy white box with the words Macbook printed in simple letters on the front. Appropriately, this box was the home for my white Macbook as it traveled over the Pacific to my front door here in Silicon Valley. There was even a handle on top. After cracking the seal, I lifted the flaps on the box to see an elegantly designed styrofoam bed that only added to the sleek look of my computer. I then pulled out my computer which, according to my wife Sarah, looked like a toy computer. It was simple, white, and had the Apple symbol on top.

After admiring the design of this wonderful machine, I opened it up and decided to let the leopard loose (the operating system is called OS X Leopard). Naturally, it took about 3 minutes to complete the initial setup and less than an hour to make a complete transition of all my files, music, and photos. It was so easy. Also, this computer is obviously faster than my other computer. It has twice the memory and a much faster processor. I had already learned the ins and outs of the new operating system by watching the video tutorials on Apple's website. Some of the features are incredible, such as screen sharing, Time Machine, and Spaces.

Later in the evening, I had a meeting with some guys from Hillside. Daniel Garcia was there and he has a Mac with Leopard also. So, we set up a video chat with each other and shared files and pictures with each other. We also shared our screens so I could type notes while Daniel watched. It was amazing.

Later, Sarah and I had a great time messing around with the built in camera and Photobooth. If you have seen the kind of pictures you can take with this camera, you'll be familiar with this. But if you haven't, here's a taste of how much fun Photobooth is:




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, Brent, i love the pics! i think i need to see you guys again sometime soon. i remember you two looking...different..:P

Brent Kompelien said...

We've changed a lot since we got married.