Monday, February 25, 2008

"Do [correction: To] whatever makes me love You more"

First of all, I just tested the battery life of my new Macbook today: 6 hours! That's just word processing and web surfing, but still, 6 hours is a long time.

In other news, I have a line from a mewithoutYou song that I have been thinking about for a while now. It comes from the song "C-Minor" on the album Brother, Sister. The line is "do whatever makes me love You more"

Correction: per Robbie's comment, I have misquoted. The line is actually "to whatever makes me love you more." That's what I get for trying to quote someone without reading the liner notes.

In the context of this song, the writer is asking God to do whatever makes him love God more. I feel that this is one of the best descriptions of "God's will" I have heard. The writer is basically saying that no matter what happens in his life, he simply wants it to make him love God more. This is really what God's will is; a course of life that makes us love God more.

For more, see the comments...

Recently, I have also read another description of God's will in the book The Secret Message of Jesus by Brian McLaren. He writes, "The Greek word that lies beneath our English word will can also be translated wish. But to say, 'May your wish come true' sounds rather fairy-tale-ish and creates other problems. But I have found the idea of, 'the dream of God for creation' does the job quite nicely. 'Your Kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven' could thus be rendered 'May all your dreams for creation come true.'"

So, to put these two ideas together I feel that a major aspect of the "dream of God" is for us to love him more; no matter the circumstance. Good times, bad times, things we don't understand, things we cannot change; we should desire to love God more no matter what. We must say, "do whatever makes me love you more" even if it means being challenged, transformed, or broken.

2 comments:

robbie said...

Not to reign on your parade but the line is actually "to whatever makes me love you more"

The entire line is:

"Open wide my door, to whatever makes me love you more."

I think this still applies to what you are talking about in some ways, (being that presumably it is the will of God who is opening the door) but I think the emphasis is slightly different.

HERETIC WARNING!
I am fairly certain that Aaron is talking about being open and available to any method that God speaks to him whether that comes from the scriptures, creation, or a Sufist poet named Rumi. The very concept of the record is actually from a Hindi poem.

This makes some people very uncomfortable because it is claimed to be a "slippery slope." The argument is that once you start identifying the truth of God in things outside the scriptures then where do you stop. Next thing you know your saying that God is actually the trees and all religions are variations of the same thing. Kind of a pantheism-universalism sort of thing.

I personally believe this argument is Bull-Honky. I have followed Aaron Weiss for a long time and am quite aware of his tendencies towards Gnostic gospels and Islamic prayers, but he continues to grow more and more fervent for Jesus. The transformation from there first album all the way to this one is clearly a movement from despair:hope, pain:joy, selfish pursuits:selfless serving, and from a life of depression and self-loathing to a life of jubilance and self-worth.

I think this transformation is the dream of God, and we all need to pray that our door will be opened to every way that Jesus, the redeemer, will reveal himself to us.

Brent Kompelien said...

Thanks for the clarification Brother Robbie.

I think you more accurately portrayed my thoughts on the matter than I did.