Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sabbath

This is an expansion to my previous post entitled "A little writing..." in which I described me feelings toward vacations.

I was convicted a few months ago that I have an addiction to production. I feel worthless when I'm not producing something. I just felt like I was wasting time if I wasn't doing something useful.

What I came to realize is that I cannot live like that. God loves me regardless of what I produce and I should not qualify my existence by the things I can do. I needed to be redeemed from the bondage of my issues with self-worth. I felt like I was defined by the things I produced rather than being a child of God.

Therefore, I decided to take a day off every Saturday. I vowed not to produce anything. No homework, no work, no house cleaning. I just relax. It is amazing.

That's how I cope with life and get a vacation with God every week.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love it! It's brilliant! Your wife will appreciate it too.

Pete Hixson said...

great post - i was researching for a message/theme for this labor day weekend and we are doing an "Unplugged" weekend at our church. thanks for your words!

Pete Hixson
www.viningslake.org
www.petehixson.org